ASM Materials Camp
July 23-28, 2017
Are you a highly motivated learner with an aptitude for math and science? If you are, then you should explore your interests by spending a week at Missouri S&T's Materials Camp! You will actively explore materials science and engineering principles through a combination of mini-demonstrations, field trips and group projects. With the help of experts, you will learn how to use state-of-the-art research equipment. You will also explore career opportunities available for those in the materials and engineering fields.
- Registration Details
- Camp Activities
- Transportation Policy
- Campus Cancellation Policy
Date: July 23-28, 2017
Eligibility: 11th and 12th grades in fall 2017. Acceptance to this camp is selective. Students should have a strong interest in applied materials science.
Registration Fee: Free. Students must apply and be accepted into the camp. The camp will cover room and board, meals, educational materials and activities. The only expense is travel to and from Rolla, and incidentals throughout the week.
Registration Deadline: May 15, 2017
1. Complete the online registration form
2. Complete the application packet and submit by May 15, 2017:
- Personal statement (200 words or more) on why you want to be selected to participate
- Maximum of 2 letters of recommendations
- A copy of your most recent report card
- A recent photo, 2X2 or larger, for publication (photo will not be returned)
Email or Mail APplication Packet to :
Dr. Scott Miller
Materials Science and Engineering
223 McNutt Hall
400 N. Bishop Ave.
Rolla, Missouri 65409-0420
We will notify accepted students by email by May 1, 2017. Accepted applicants will then register and pay the fee to reserve their spot. Spots that have not been reserved will be open to waitlisted applicants.
Student selection process
This is a competitive application process. Students are asked to describe why they want to learn more about materials science and engineering as a possible college major and career. Students must have a strong interest in applied materials science. Prior participation in science fairs is helpful.
Registration Cancellation Policy
Persons wishing to cancel their registration must do so one week (7 full days) prior to the first day of their chosen program. No refunds will be made after this date.
- Solve technical problems. Students work in small groups to investigate various aspects and applications of engineering metals and ceramics.
- Learn to use state-of-the-art research equipment in an engineering laboratory under the guidance of experts.
- Visit several materials-related industries.
- Attend guest presentations.
- Participate in group projects, including design-build contests.
Past projects included microelectronic circuitry, friction-stir welding, ceramic magnets, metal casting, glass processing, heat treatment and mechanical property evaluation, plasma-spray deposition and others.
Participants must provide their own transportation to and from Missouri S&T. USA Express provides shuttle service from Lambert-St. Louis International Airport to campus. The shuttle service schedule is available online, or you can call toll free at 1-800-872-9399.
Campus Cancellation Policy
Missouri S&T reserves the right to cancel any program in the event of insufficient registrations, severe weather or natural disaster. In the event of cancellation, registrants will be notified immediately via email and phone, and all fees will be returned in full.
Are you ready for your next adventure?
For more information, contact Dr. Scott Miller,
professor and director of explosives education